Saturday, April 14, 2007

REMINISCENCE


Sitting on that bench by the bush, its the early hours of the evening, I was wondering how special that day was when I first met Scott. He had this charm of a kid which made him so lovable, eyes so innocent that one could not stop seeing them, a smile that could make your day, lips so alluring that one could hallucinate a lasting kiss, a voice that would sink in the heart like the melody of nature and a personality that could beat the best of the suitors.

It was my first day at St. Patrick’s. The class was a coterie of strangers, known faces, friends and ….. this lad walked in. I knew this charm, I knew the eyes, I knew the lips and I knew this “Hello”. He seemed so familiar.
Ahhh, “Hello”
“Scott”
“Ana”
“May I”
“Oh Sure!” he sat down beside me. “First day?” What a stupid question that was. It was first day for everyone.
“Yeah, I guess so” pat came the reply.
I was stammering in his presence, what was he doing to me. The day went by in smiles and stares. I don’t remember if we had talked anything that day beside that first conversation. We bid adieu to each other and left for our homes.


The next day, was a search for a face I knew, a search that became a routine and a search that became my life.

The child across the path is playing with the butterflies, unaware of the surroundings and unaware of the place he was at. It will take time for him to realize meanings of people, places and ………….
The old man to my right is silent. He just sits with his wife and says nothing. Silence is all he gives to his wife. Even I don’t have much to say besides……………
The crowd gathered over there is busy in their proceedings and would be gone soon.
For the guard and the caretaker it’s all in a days work.

Scott comes in late but sits besides me. I feel special, I feel blessed and I feel a completeness. The trend continued for the next 3 years. Everything of him was so serene, so harmonical. So special were the vibes that he shared. He made me feel his need, he made me feel what I had missed all this long, he made me feel satisfied, he made me feel contended. I was so composed, chilled and relaxed in his company. The chores of the world were so far away from the embrace of his arms. I would just get lost in his company. His words, a harmony, his smile, a wave of freshness, his stare, a morning ray, his laugh, a humorous play, his embrace, the world, a walk with him, a soothing bay and the time spent with him, a life lived. We were destined to be together. Everything was so special about us. His touch was a like a chord of a guitar, sweet and mellifluous. I could sit with him for hours without a word being said such was the illusion of his eyes. So much was said yet nothing uttered.


College got over and we got into jobs. We moved to different cities for the sake of our careers. Yet he would find time for me. Every time he came to see me, we would hardly talk. Being in his presence was more than a million words said. We would just sit and stare………….

The crowd almost done, they are all about to leave. The child would go soon. The old man is still silent. There is this son who has come to see his father and this other man who in order to purge his sins has come for this perfect stranger whom he met on the road.

He told his family bout me. I had wondered if they would ever accept me but who would deny him, his words – a harmony, who would like to bring a discord. It was set in the heavens, that one day we would be pronounced,
“Now that SCOTT and ANA have given themselves to each other by the promises they have exchanged, I pronounce them to be husband and wife, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”


And the candles burn throughout.

The candle has burned out. I was waiting for this only. I didn’t want it to extinguish half way like my life has. The flowers too have started to shrivel. They would be dead by morning and the caretaker would throw them away. The old man would leave soon. The child has already gone. The son wept for sometime in front of his father and the candle still burns. The other man has given the flowers to the stranger he met on the road. The sun has set and its dark here like the darkness in my life. I light another candle before leaving. Walk a few steps back. The name still shines…..

SCOTT GUYENA
1980 – 2007.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey cool post (yet agn) n ya i hope the child playin wid d butterflies get real n realise d ppl n places around... or may b not..

Edyta said...

hey!
i'd just like to tell u this:
"Never lose the child within you"
Happy child's day!